Sunday, December 9, 2007

Who cares? Neanderthal November & Festivus 2007

Not sure if you guys heard, but last month was Neanderthal November. Some friends from Canada, whom I haven't seen in over 10 years decided to throw me a surprise visit in Chicago. I got an e-mail on Thursday morning letting me know that they were coming up on Friday afternoon. It was a great visit and fantastic to see them again. One of these friends introduced me to a ritual event that they have back in Calgary, Canada. This event is called Neanderthal November and consists of being a Neanderthal (not shaving at all) throughout the entire month of November.

I thought to myself that this was a brilliant idea and also wanted to challenge myself to see if I can do it. If I can stop caring of what others think of me, and stop caring of what I look like.

After weeks of itching, scratching, growing, and assault, the Neanderthal November beard was complete. Low and behold, here it is in the picture. (Man is it ugly)


When the month came to an end, I had truly learned that I don't care what others think of me, or what I look like. In addition, I decided to prepare myself for another yearly ritual (Festivus - House Party of the year - great times guys) by shaving all of my beard except for the moustache. This brought the ball game of 'looking and feeling cheesy' to a whole new level.


"You are a human being and as long as you are doing something in good spirit and with good intentions, as long as you are not harming another, then it is worth doing." - N.K. (Neanderthal Kamil)

No comments: