Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Relationship between Courage and Confidence

I was recently listening to "On Being A Man" by David DeAngelo and heard something very interesting. He mentioned that a person cannot gain confidence and competence, if they don't encounter courage in their quest.

This makes perfect sense. When we do something for the very first time in our life, we have no experience, thus low, or no, confidence in it. Think of the first time you got onto your bicycle, you were not confidet that you could ride a bike. Thus, if it wasn't for courage, you would have never climbed up onto that seat. Courage put you in the face of danger, learning, pain, and ultimately experience in bicycle riding. Then, as your experience grew, so did your confidence, and you were a bicycle-riding maniac.

What are some other situations where you had used your courage? Did they improve your confidence? Where do you stand with these types of situations today? One recent experience in my life was the writing of this blog. I had zero experience, and low confidence in writing a Self-Development blog. But, as I gained couraged and put myself out there, I began to open up to people. Today, I am writing regular posts of how I am improving and what I am learning on a daily basis.

So, if you're scared or not confident in something, you must find courage first. Then, just do it.

No comments: